Small Asteroids remake in Unreal Engine 4

Cruiser18
Level 0 - Null

Small Asteroids remake in Unreal Engine 4

Unread post by Cruiser18 » 03 Jan 2015, 00:00

As part of learning the Blueprint visual scripting language in UE4, I decided to make a small game project and I chose to remake good ol' Asteroids using just some of the standard assets and some homemade assets.

Good learning experience and good fun ;)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: Small Asteroids remake in Unreal Engine 4

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 03 Jan 2015, 00:20

Looks like an excellent well scoped learner project.

I have promised myself to look at UE4 at some point. How long did it take to create it?
You of cause have some programming knowledge that will benefit you in setting up the visual programming.

Cruiser18
Level 0 - Null

Unread post by Cruiser18 » 03 Jan 2015, 01:28

I think that in effective worktime it probably took about a week to make. Keep in mind though that I had a few long bug hunts and other litle headaches where I had to figure out the quirks of Blueprint and the way Unreal engine goes about doing it's thing.

But yeah, Blueprints are essentially still programming and having a programmers mindset and understanding of how to built up a program helps immensely. Blueprint just makes it all more visually pleasing to look at, with some really good intellisense. ;)

Jesper Kondrup
Level 27 - Drooling zombie

Unread post by Jesper Kondrup » 04 Jan 2015, 12:54

Nice work! I spend a lot of time playing another asteroids remake back in the days: Astrofire :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3H07yPM5E