How do you cope with non-constructive critique and haters?

hmortensen
Level 2 - Grain of sand

How do you cope with non-constructive critique and haters?

Unread post by hmortensen » 15 Apr 2013, 07:49

My game “Do no harm!” was online for less than a day before a user calling himself “DieHenningDie” showed up on the game leaderboard.. That wasn’t fun and kind of disturbing to read, what could I have done to piss off someone to make them do this?
I’m told I’m the most harmless and friendly guy ever, so what did just happen?

I know the internet allows people to write whatever they want, but still it kind of hit me.. Why would anyone write something like that? Well it was in beta and the leaderboard was deleted.

Two days later I uploaded the final version, and lo and behold, another name showed up on the leaderboard “ThisGameSucks”. Well ok, you are entitled to your opinion, but I would have loved for you to have posted it on my blog, twitter or by email so I would be able to find out what part sucks so much. It’s only my second Unity game and I really want to learn, and I do know my first games are going to be “less than good” but it’s a learning process.

It shouldn’t have bother me so much as it did, and after a good night sleep, I know I have to get used to non-constructive critique like that, as it most defiantly always will be there in some form or another.

So, my shields are now up, for more crappy games are bound to come :)

Have a great day out there!
Henning Mortensen - C# programmer.
Personal Blog - http://incd021.com

Scurvy Lobster
Level 25 - John Carmack

Re: How do you cope with non-constructive critique and hater

Unread post by Scurvy Lobster » 15 Apr 2013, 08:28

I know PopCap games (Bejewelled, Zuma, Peggle) don't have online leaderboards because of this and because the scores tend to get hacked anyway. At least they reported this a few years ago.

And their games sell fine without them one might say...
Uddannelseschef, HTX Ringsted

hmortensen
Level 2 - Grain of sand

Unread post by hmortensen » 15 Apr 2013, 08:32

Scurvy Lobster wrote:I know PopCap games (Bejewelled, Zuma, Peggle) don't have online leaderboards because of this and because the scores tend to get hacked anyway. At least they reported this a few years ago.

And here I thought an online leaderboard would be a great thing to have.. Guess my next game won't have one!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 15 Apr 2013, 08:52

Sad to hear. But that's the name of the game.

Could you do a Facebook Connect leaderboard registration?
Would root out the worst.

Or were you posting it on some online gamer portal?

hmortensen
Level 2 - Grain of sand

Unread post by hmortensen » 15 Apr 2013, 09:02

jonaz.dk wrote:Sad to hear. But that's the name of the game.

Could you do a Facebook Connect leaderboard registration?
Would root out the worst.

Or were you posting it on some online gamer portal?
Haven't thought about FB, just wanted to keep it super simple. Maybe next time (if I ever make a leaderboard again) :)

The current leaderbord it done using php on my own site so I have full control to delete it if I want to.

Morten Brunbjerg
Level 4 - Newbie

Unread post by Morten Brunbjerg » 15 Apr 2013, 09:26

In your headline you ask how to deal with non-constructive criticism and haters. That's two very different things. What you experienced does not qualify as non-constructive criticism, it's - as you wrote in your headline - a hater or troll. Even though though your guy used your name he's still just a hater.

We go through a creative process and even though we're professionals it will, in some way or another, hurt when haters show their faces. At least the first times. There's a principle in business saying that about 2% of your customers will never be satisfied. Ever! No matter what you do. We can't satisfy everyone at once. Haters, like the guy you're writing about, will hate your game no matter how it looks or feel. Keep calm and carry on. He’s useless. There’s nothing to do but ignore him.

It's a lot easier to deal with people giving non-constructive criticism. A question you ask in your headline as well. That's people saying stuff like: "I just didn't like it. It no good." But not telling you why. That's pretty simple. Don’t tell them they were rude. Tell them that you appreciate their opinion and you want to make the game better, but you need more information. Then ask them something specific about the game. And that's very important! After letting them know that you value their opinion ask them something specific about the game. Ask anything! Ask about the controls, the visuals, the music, what ever! Asking them a “technical” question will take the personal angle out of the conversation and reset it to be centered about the game and not about you. Every time the conversation gets personal or resets to stuff like: "It's just bad!" you ask a specific question about the game. If they are still non-constructive after doing this 3 times put them in the Hater/Troll category and ignore them.

-
Morten Brunbjerg
http://mortenbrunbjerg.dk

hmortensen
Level 2 - Grain of sand

Unread post by hmortensen » 15 Apr 2013, 09:38

Morten Brunbjerg wrote:In your headline you ask how to deal with non-constructive criticism and haters. That's two very different things. What you experienced does not qualify as non-constructive criticism, it's - as you wrote in your headline - a hater or troll. Even though though your guy used your name he's still just a hater.

We go through a creative process and even though we're professionals it will, in some way or another, hurt when haters show their faces. At least the first times. There's a principle in business saying that about 2% of your customers will never be satisfied. Ever! No matter what you do. We can't satisfy everyone at once. Haters, like the guy you're writing about, will hate your game no matter how it looks or feel. Keep calm and carry on. He’s useless. There’s nothing to do but ignore him.

It's a lot easier to deal with people giving non-constructive criticism. A question you ask in your headline as well. That's people saying stuff like: "I just didn't like it. It no good." But not telling you why. That's pretty simple. Don’t tell them they were rude. Tell them that you appreciate their opinion and you want to make the game better, but you need more information. Then ask them something specific about the game. And that's very important! After letting them know that you value their opinion ask them something specific about the game. Ask anything! Ask about the controls, the visuals, the music, what ever! Asking them a “technical” question will take the personal angle out of the conversation and reset it to be centered about the game and not about you. Every time the conversation gets personal or resets to stuff like: "It's just bad!" you ask a specific question about the game. If they are still non-constructive after doing this 3 times put them in the Hater/Troll category and ignore them.

-
Morten Brunbjerg
Need a like button ;) Thanks Morten.

Code
Level 39 - Hitman

Unread post by Code » 15 Apr 2013, 11:11

Morten Brunbjerg wrote:In your headline you ask how to deal with non-constructive criticism and haters. That's two very different things. What you experienced does not qualify as non-constructive criticism, it's - as you wrote in your headline - a hater or troll. Even though though your guy used your name he's still just a hater.

-
Morten Brunbjerg
Good stuff :)
Also I can understand that "dieHenningdie" would be quite disturbing to see, but you should probably not worry that anyone is actually coming after you ;) Some people just hate because they don't have better things to do.
Spiludvikling og undervisning i Unity3D
http://www.code.dk

Danmarksmesterskabet i spiludvikling.
http://www.dmspil.dk

Chrono
Level 14 - Dimensional traveler

Unread post by Chrono » 15 Apr 2013, 15:28

Scurvy Lobster wrote:I know PopCap games (Bejewelled, Zuma, Peggle) don't have online leaderboards because of this and because the scores tend to get hacked anyway. At least they reported this a few years ago.

Actually, for their social network games they have hired people specifically to combat cheating.
I can't go fighting evil on an empty stomach, you know!

sbn
Level 3 - Infant

Unread post by sbn » 15 Apr 2013, 23:34

Code wrote:Good stuff :)
Also I can understand that "dieHenningdie" would be quite disturbing to see, but you should probably not worry that anyone is actually coming after you ;) Some people just hate because they don't have better things to do.
Think of it like this: One person is expending the effort and skill to actually make a game, the other is spending his time playing that game enough to climb the board just to make juvenile "threats". Out of those two, who would you say is the loser?

Jesper Kondrup
Level 27 - Drooling zombie

Unread post by Jesper Kondrup » 16 Apr 2013, 07:49

Sry, forgot about writing in english, will translate later :)

Kunne være, at han havde samme argumentation som Sideshow Bob og at det altså ikke er i ond mening?

Klip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMkzdn2TDuI

Spøg til side, så er der alt for mange på nettet idag, der har skræmmende lidt netetikette og det bliver sikkert kun værre?
Det er så nemt at sidde tilbagelænet derhjemme og slynge gloser imod alt og alle på nettet når der er 500km kabel imellem.
Men møder man dem offline, er det nok kun en meget lille %del af dem, der ville sige det samme til ens ansigt.

hmortensen
Level 2 - Grain of sand

Unread post by hmortensen » 16 Apr 2013, 08:13

Jesper Kondrup wrote:Sry, forgot about writing in english, will translate later :)
Kunne være, at han havde samme argumentation som Sideshow Bob og at det altså ikke er i ond mening?
Damn..!! I'm big Simpson fan but I don't remember that sequence!! With the people I know, it sure could be.. :) Thanks for pointing that out.

Last look on the leaderboard had some funny names on it :) And I'm glad I didn't delete the DieHenningDie..

Code
Level 39 - Hitman

Unread post by Code » 16 Apr 2013, 09:18

hmortensen wrote:
Jesper Kondrup wrote:Sry, forgot about writing in english, will translate later :)
Damn..!! I'm big Simpson fan but I don't remember that sequence!! With the people I know, it sure could be.. :) Thanks for pointing that out.

Last look on the leaderboard had some funny names on it :) And I'm glad I didn't delete the DieHenningDie..
Well, you could have deleted him. He would have spent a lot of time reaching top score, but he broke "the rules", so if you removed him his time would be so wasted :)
Spiludvikling og undervisning i Unity3D
http://www.code.dk

Danmarksmesterskabet i spiludvikling.
http://www.dmspil.dk