Need help with legal paperwork

David Lindberg
Level 0 - Null

Need help with legal paperwork

Unread post by David Lindberg » 17 Aug 2014, 00:13

Hey everyone, it's my first time posting here, so I'm going to start out with a quick introduction, before I get to the reason I'm making this post:

My name is David Emil Lindberg. I'm 22 years old, and I own a company called Undefined Games, which is just getting its bearings, so we don't really exist in the public eye yet. I've personally done some work here and there in the industry already, including early testing and "design counseling" on the recent Elder Scrolls Online game, which got me a written recommendation from the president of the studio, Matt Firor.

But on to the point! This is the first time I've done something of this scale, where someone else hadn't already done the legal paperwork. I need help writing an NDA, that's specifically tailored towards European law standards. Unfortunately, lawyers are very expensive, so I'd rather deal with it myself. I was never much for paperwork, so it obviously isn't my strong side. But if anyone could help me with the proper research material, or possibly lend me a hand with the writing process itself, I would be ever so grateful.

I'm already a member of IDGA, so if there is anything on their network that I've overlooked, you can point me towards it - I'll be able to view it no problem.

If this gets through, the system I'm working on may very well become a catalyst for game development in general, helping the industry grow in countries that do not provide much support for it. These damn papers are all that's in the way for me to go further ahead with the process, so I like to think I'll be doing everyone a favor, by getting things fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance! (also, you can reply in Danish, if that's what you feel the most comfortable with - I speak it just fine)

~ Dave :D

Gorm
Level 24 - Cyber demon

Re: Need help with legal paperwork

Unread post by Gorm » 17 Aug 2014, 15:23

Hi David,

I have 2 answers for you. One if you are serious about the NDA, then you should also be serious enough to get one from a lawyer. They usually have a template laying around they can use, and they might give you a discount in the beginning in the hope you'll provide more work down the line.

The second answer, is though, that probably you don't need a NDA yet. It is easy to have these things stop you at this stage, but my advice would be to not worry about it for now. Don't forget about it, but first get your project into a stage where you can see if are you willing to pour money and time into it. Then contact the lawyer! :D
Gorm - Senior Creative Technologist
Blog
Twitter
Global Game Jam

KirstineA
Level 18 - Zelda

Re: Need help with legal paperwork

Unread post by KirstineA » 18 Aug 2014, 11:47

Dear Dave

I definitely think you should take a look at the next Growing Games workshop - and if possible, attend: http://bit.ly/GrowingGames5 (this thursday, August 21 in Cph)

This is a great chance to meet experienced devs + lawyers with industry insight.

Give me a call or a mail if you want to know more (E: ka@interactivedenmark.dk / T: +45 33 86 28 87)

Hope to see you there :-)

/Kirstine