Spil 9.0: Women. Women? Women!

kristine
Level 5 - Youngling

Spil 9.0: Women. Women? Women!

Unread post by kristine » 20 Mar 2012, 13:25

Where: Filmhuset, Gothersgade 55 – Bio Asta (in the basement)
When: March 29th 16.30-18.30
Why: Can’t we all just get along?

Women are widely discussed both as game developers, game characters, and game players. For SpilBar 9.0 we will focus on the latter: Women – and girls – as players.
As players, women and girls are assumed to account for half of all games played. But why are there so few female game developers, how are women portrayed in games today, and are women and girls playing different games than boys and men? Should we design games for women and girls directly? And if yes, how do you do so without resorting to stereotypes and what is - in negative terms - called to 'pink it or shrink it'?
SpilBar has asked three game developers to talk about women and girls. Claus Lykke Jensen from MovieStarPlanet talks about how they designed a universe for kids – boys and girls – and ended up with something loved predominantly by girls. Jimmy Marcus Larsen from Cego has successfully designed casual games for women in a long time and will hand out his tips and tricks.
Finally Dajana Dimowska from KnapNok Games will tell her personal story and let us know why she does not believe in segregating girls as a target audience.
At the end we will have time to debate – and at the very end: beer as always!

Program:
16.30: Welcome
16.35: Claus Lykke Jensen, MovieStarPLanet: Designing games for girls ... and boys
16.55: Jimmy Marcus Larsen, Cego: A handful of proven tips for designing games women will play
17.15: Break with coffee
17.35: Dajana Dimovska, Knapnok Games: My personal history and why I don't believe in designing games for girls
17.55: Debate
18.30: Beer and mingling!

Read more about the speakers here: http://english.dadiu.dk/invitation-spilbar-9-0-women

About SpilBar:
SpilBar is a bimonthly event, where everyone in or close to the computer games industry can meet and mingle. The meetings always start with a talk and end with a drink.
SpilBar is initiated by Kristine Ploug from DADIU and Thomas Vigild from The Danish Game Council (Dansk Spilråd). SpilBar is organized in collaboration with IGDA, Unge Spiludviklere, Spilordningen, and Computerspilzonen.
Everybody is welcome and no sign-up needed.

timgarbos
Level 23 - Spider demon

Re: Spil 9.0: Women. Women? Women!

Unread post by timgarbos » 20 Mar 2012, 16:48

Great!

madspeitersen
Level 2 - Grain of sand

Unread post by madspeitersen » 21 Mar 2012, 10:17

Super spændene emne :)
Follow me on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/MadsPeitersen

Vanulla_Ace
Level 12 - Master of the dark arts

Unread post by Vanulla_Ace » 29 Mar 2012, 15:55

Jeg liveblogger det hele fra 16:30 på http://www.eurogamer.dk/articles/2012-0 ... omen-women, hvis man skulle være forhindret i at møde op. :)
*** Doing stuff for myself, for others, and for Interactive Denmark
My FB page about Danish Game Development (in Danish)
Mostly active on Twitter as @vanulla_ace