Unity5 announcement

Pegepinden
Level 16 - Hellghast

Unity5 announcement

Unread post by Pegepinden » 03 Mar 2015, 20:02

So "everything" is free now. What are peoples thoughts? Personally i think they just removed most competition.

And you can buy add-ons like the cloud build if needed instead of going full pro. The cloud build is by the way very brilliant, using it for the unannounced project i am working on at the moment!
I code stuff, it is true!

Niels Jørgensen
Level 22 - Imp

Re: Unity5 announcement

Unread post by Niels Jørgensen » 03 Mar 2015, 20:47

Thoughts? You mean beyond feeling a wee bit silly for throwing more than $2500 at the various PRO versions so far? :)

In general I think there's a fine line between cheap and free where things tend to go from awesome to terrible, but we'll see...

Hopefully this is not one of them :)...

Vanulla_Ace
Level 12 - Master of the dark arts

Unread post by Vanulla_Ace » 03 Mar 2015, 22:08

Looks like they are going straight for Unreal Engines throat. Huge focus on graphical fidelity, the one area where they have been lagging behind UE the most. Less talk about the workflow improvements, even if Cloud Build did get it's 15 minutes.

It seems like they are trying to push up even further towards AAA feature-wise, even if most growth is not happening there. But I guess they see no competition in the lower end of the spectrum.

On a personal note, I can't wait to try out the new audio features. That area has been severely lacking for a LONG time. :)
*** Doing stuff for myself, for others, and for Interactive Denmark
My FB page about Danish Game Development (in Danish)
Mostly active on Twitter as @vanulla_ace

Pegepinden
Level 16 - Hellghast

Unread post by Pegepinden » 03 Mar 2015, 23:06

Well if you pre-ordered Unity5 pro, then you can get a refund: http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

Niels Jørgensen
Level 22 - Imp

Unread post by Niels Jørgensen » 04 Mar 2015, 00:09

I didn't - am on the $225/month subscription, but fuck it. Not important.

Soak will have to make two orders of magnitude more money than that for it to be a business anyway, so whether Unity is $0 or $2500 is somewhat irrelevant. Crashing with no debt is still crashing ;)

And besides, we can't have that nasty unity splash screen anyway, now can we? :)

No honestly, my only concern, and it's a very minor one, is what happens when there are 10x more people using Unity, flooding them with feature requests and bug reports, but not paying to support the development? Will the quality go down the drain, and will a paid subscription give me the kind of support I need to keep working on a commercial product?

So far we've seen very little love from Unity... Hell, we couldn't even get a tweet on launch day ;)

Pegepinden
Level 16 - Hellghast

Unread post by Pegepinden » 04 Mar 2015, 01:08

Actually pro subscribers who submit project bugs gets first in line :) And we get better debugging tools:

- Prioritized bug handling
- Game Performance Reporting