Gunjitsu is live on Steam!

Pegepinden
Level 16 - Hellghast

Gunjitsu is live on Steam!

Unread post by Pegepinden » 31 Jul 2015, 17:28

Thought it deserved its own thread! We just went live on Steam Early Access after spending 2½ year on the game as a hobby project :)
We went with early access because we know everything is not 100%, as we only have our spare-time to create the project. But it feels solid.

So now we are just waiting for all the weird bugs caused by bad internet connections and whatever :D

Here is our official trailer:

And of cause the Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/280010
I code stuff, it is true!

spa
Level 14 - Dimensional traveler

Re: Gunjitsu is live on Steam!

Unread post by spa » 31 Jul 2015, 20:18

First off congratz on the release! i like the flavor and the general feel of the game, although i would like the presentation to be a little darker and grittier than it is.

I tried the game a little with bots since i couldn't find any game servers.

I have to say that the first impression the game gives at this point isn't great. I know its early days but you can do a lot more to get players into the game. Have some sort of training mode to pop up immediately to get the player going where you can control how its introduced.
Since there no real single player mode to get going on this is a must since no one will want to play against real opponents without getting familiar with the mechanics first.
Have a practice room where i can try the game in a safe environment shooting static target dummies. Bots are so broken atm that i wouldn't even have them in the game at this stage - it only shows the dirty underwear :) But i like the ambition to have them down the road!

Gameplay: My input here may sound really naive as i have no real gameplay experience but ill offer my gut feeling on it regardless:
I feel the gameplay need some sort of focus and i would like to see a lot more pickups to fight over. Have some sort of powerful pickup spawning in the center and communicate it somehow when it happens to gather players there. The gunzerk pickup is ideal (i would rename it to gunjitsu) and it should be something to fight over but its not atm. because all players dont know about it so its just a 'random' element. (think quad damage in quake)

I would remove the options to include grenades, sidearms and powerups and always have them on. You might think that they are "expert options" but when they are not default a lot of players will play without or in different combinations and this splits the field on how the game is played which can be poison for a competitive game. Own what the game is and how its played, and don't leave it up the players that have no clue about the game to begin with. If you have a lot of players you can always add these options back down the road by popular demand.

The destruction element is conceptually really cool but i didn't really feel its impact other than getting stuck in holes sometimes. Make it bigger and give a purpose! can i shoot stuff to uncover power-ups maybe?

Bugs: on the industry level there's no kill box so when i fall down im stuck at the bottom.. ehrm :cry:

Its not spelled "suicude" !! come on guys, your charging money for this game ;)

Good luck and I hope to check out the game later if servers pick up steam!
::Søren P Andersen
::Showcase

Pegepinden
Level 16 - Hellghast

Unread post by Pegepinden » 31 Jul 2015, 20:57

Thanks for the input. Some of the things you mention are already on our list, so we can fix them for for next update sunday :) And yeah the bots seem more bugged right than we thought (some levels are worse), so need to fix that. (There is a warning in Start about bots though)

Overall i agree with a lot of it.

Disallowing guns and grenades is not one of them, as this mean you can play a clean 'Sniper' match if you want to. Which can be quite fun. Also they are on as default.

Having a sort of tutorial might be a good idea. Was something we kinda skipped because of time not allowing for it.

But this is why it is on Early Access :)

Most focus have been on the online death matches, and of cause without a larger playerbase that might be a problem.

spa

Unread post by spa » 31 Jul 2015, 21:11

Pegepinden wrote:
Disallowing guns and grenades is not one of them, as this mean you can play a clean 'Sniper' match if you want to. Which can be quite fun. Also they are on as default.

Fair enough, i thought they were off by default because i toggled them back and forth after wondering why i didn't see any pickups :) bad luck there i guess.

If you want a sniper battle shouldn't that be its own game mode since each player can otherwise choose whatever weapon he wants?

I totally get that there's a lot of disclaimers with early access, but also be aware that your first impression is extremely important to new players. Consider a very basic safe room with target dummies or something and then scale it up to a bigger tutorial later if its a time issue.

Pegepinden
Level 16 - Hellghast

Unread post by Pegepinden » 31 Jul 2015, 21:13

Actually i see you point with the training mode! So i started coding i already :D hehe.

spa

Unread post by spa » 31 Jul 2015, 21:27

Awesome :D :like:

Pegepinden
Level 16 - Hellghast

Unread post by Pegepinden » 01 Aug 2015, 02:28

Found a leak in our thread manager caused by voxel blood. And as our bot's uses their own threads to calculate new moves then it messed them up. Fixed now, and should be up tomorrow or sunday.

Also fixed "suicude" and killzone, along with a few other bugs :D

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 Aug 2015, 00:02

Er man late night på spiludvikling.dk?

Så er der en lille gave til de hurtige. :)

BKD3Z-RNB04-D83EA
KCVDA-KR9NR-46YPL
TB2AG-M8EDQ-MNKC4
C4VWX-J2QY3-9VBFN