News! Tech! Tools! Talks! Games! And Stuff Worth Sharing!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: News! Tech! Tools! Talks! Games! And Stuff Worth Sharing!

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 25 Jun 2020, 21:17

The scope of this game.. I can't even! 8O :D

Everything We Learned Playing Cyberpunk 2077 - New Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay 4K

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 26 Jun 2020, 08:29

Oh nice! They are also doing an anime series. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners! :cool: :D

CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS tells a standalone, 10-episode story about a street kid trying to survive in a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future. Having everything to lose, he chooses to stay alive by becoming an edgerunner—a mercenary outlaw also known as a cyberpunk.

The series will premiere in 2022.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/35512 ... -uADSU4Xqk

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 26 Jun 2020, 21:42

Burming Daylight can be found here for free download

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 27 Jun 2020, 10:34

DK release

Fuglekigger on Ramasjang from Set Snail Studio

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 29 Jun 2020, 23:27

So I have this side project.
Of going through all my currently 450'ish unplayed games on Steam of a 1200+ total.
Yup.. way too many! It's becoming ridiculous! XD
You know.. picking stuff up on the cheap and in bundles sometimes has that effect. :blush :rolleyes

I usually give them a few minutes for a test run to see if I feel the jive quickly or not. And count them out for the most part.

But this The Invisible Hours just hit something special.

It's not a traditional game per se. But a realtime 3D prerecorded murder mystery stage play you could say, with some added game elements. Where you are a voyeuristic spectating player unable to affect the game world. But you have the ability to rewind or fast forward time. It's really a cool and unique experience. Well written and acted. Developed by Tequila Works who did Deadlight and Rime. Both of which I have enjoyed.

Also there is VR support. The trailer doesn't really capture the experience too well. It makes it feel a bit too movie like. But it's really something else. Where you will get caught up in one story arc. Only to be teased to follow another concurrent event. Winding time back and forth to see what's going on.

Recommended!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 30 Jun 2020, 22:43

DK re-release!
Car licenseplate scanning game Street Cars is now relaunched as Spot Racers.

https://www.facebook.com/19233809474956 ... 2/?app=fbl

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 01 Jul 2020, 21:56

So the past still leaves a trail form a formerly Copenhagen based company with a lot of unfortunate stories in it's wake. Here about 2 years later.
This time it's our producer Anchel's story. Which is probably the worst I have heard.
I've heard some of it earlier.

Pernille's story was on DR about a year ago.
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kultur/gaming ... anmark-jeg

I worked there as well for a shorter period (about a year). I never had anything remotely close to Anchel's experiences personally. But obviously I was aware that something was quite off at the top of the company. Manifesting itself in a range of ways.

The company went from indie darling to having developed the possibly worst reputation throughout the local industry. Fairly quickly.
Anchel's story probably represents the worst end of the spectrum. Not everybody was equally hit. But clearly it was a problematic working environment where people-skill and expectations was not very well tuned.
I think things took a turn for the worse around the time my contract expired and there was a lot of people let go. After some missed/canceled contracts. The belt was clearly tightened. Glad I didn't experience that.
In my time I met a lot of new awesome friends there! And worked on some pretty nice projects. Though quite chaotic and with a bit too many cooks involved due to circumstance.

I know of at least one more person who had to quit due to acute stress after my time.

The good news it that everybody affected is now in a better place. And the company in question
no longer has any local development to my knowledge.

The moral of the story.. know your company partners and the type of company they will create. Money and power comes with great responsibility.
And making games is also about creating a great psychological working environment so the people you hire can perform their best.

And finally let's not create more companies generating these type of stories.

The long tweet here:
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9ut9

ZeroHero
Level 27 - Drooling zombie

Unread post by ZeroHero » 02 Jul 2020, 10:48

Sad to hear these circumstances can happen in Denmark.

I sincerely hope that Pernille and Anchel's experiences are likely to be exceptions rather than the norm.
I have never worked in the Danish games industry so I do not know how common these circumstances occur but I have read from independent sources that people in general work very hard for a very low salary and crunch time is often a norm in Denmark. Hence why a lot of people stay in the industry for a relatively short time compared to other industries.

It used to be like that 10-20 years ago in games industry many places in the US and UK but they have learned by experience that burning out valuable staff is not a great idea in the long run and a healthy change of working hours has been introduced over the years. So it saddens me to hear that this can take place in Denmark, as I thought Denmark was very modernized country and workers are protected by unions (which is something we do not have here in the UK).