News! Tech! Tools! Talks! Games! And Stuff Worth Sharing!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: News! Tech! Tools! Talks! Games! And Stuff Worth Sharing!

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 29 Nov 2019, 12:29

Woop woop! Det er super flot Christoffer! :D

And throwing a few cool looking upcoming indies

Sable

Hollow Knight - Silksong

Odd dog dating sim?! Kiddo loves doggies. Might be something for him.
Best Friend Forever

The Last Campfire

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 29 Nov 2019, 16:27

DK release: Sausage Swing Club

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 29 Nov 2019, 17:22

More weird doggy games!

PHOGS!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 30 Nov 2019, 11:58

Earthbreakers
Cool! :) Finally a spiritual successor to FPS/RTS hybrid game Command and Conquer: Renegade.
Developed by ex-Westwood studios veterans at Petroglyph games.

Also for some reason the RTS/FPS hybrid formula is chronically hard to nail down. Very few examples still stands as something you would call a lasting success. I hope this one will break the mold.

Lets see where it goes!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 30 Nov 2019, 23:13

So with 2020 approaching quickly. Remember this game? Beyond Good and Evil 2..... it's... still not released.
And looks like they are missing their promised late 2019 beta. There is still a bit of time.
In development since 'at-least' 2007. With an over the top scope of the project. Seamless multi planet open world online multiplayer game. They have been aiming very high for a niche-IP sequel.
Ubisoft must surely have some extremely deep pockets and love for this project. Not expecting it to launch this decade. Or breaking even for that matter. Let's see!

Post Update:
The whole project seems like it's a victim of it's own extreme ambition. Not unlike StarCitizen which I see as a competitor in the same playingfield. Obviously very different in many aspects. BGAE2 is more of a coop focused game to begin with. However StarCitizen nails the space nerd theming just perfectly. Where BGAE2 is much more alternative SciFi. That may not appeal to the broadest scifi nerd segment.
And also they are not out and meeting the endusers with build after build. Even with all their bugs and trouble. But staying behind closed Ubisoft walls. Which in turn makes BGAE2 a harder sell for players. Not having built a community for an massive online game. A HUGE strategic mistake. Especially when you are already fishing 'somewhat' in the same pond of players already engaged.

Speculating here... Not sure how they became victims of ambition. You can only theorize they had a case of explosive featuritus.
I know! It's easy to be contaminated with then designing games. ;)
Maybe it was never really fun in the early prototypes?! And they kept piling features and scope. That in theory will make it all amazing and "better". And was able to sell it to the Ubisoft editorial team.
However filling up such a massive world with things worth doing is an exponential challenge (and expensive).
They should have been very much able to pull of a great game experience set in a single city. A whole lot faster. Launched that. And see how it went before posting millions and millions into building a solar system worth of content.
I know you have to build the systems for such a system ground up. And it would be hard to think that much ahead while focusing on building a single well working city. But big props and hats off if they make it a success with the current strategy. :)

But they are indeed making progress.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 30 Nov 2019, 23:24

Also our very own Copenhagen based Framebunker with StaticSky for iOS.. possibly other platforms as well. Has been in an extended preproduction and development cycle. Since 20013 where I helped them on the prototype for a couple of weeks.

Looks like they might be inching closer to a release with increased social media posts? But nothing announced yet.

Still looks pretty!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 01 Dec 2019, 19:19

Pre registration of Very Little Nightmares on Android is up!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nightmares

Might give it a shot! Or wait for a potential PC release. Which would be my preferred platform. Gaming laptop with controllers and a big screen setup with mouse+keyboard at your leisure. Is just very hard to beat in versatility.. ok it doesn't fit in your pocket. Yet! at-least. :)

Also I'm so done and done with iOS where it was only previously available. It was only of project necessity I got myself and iPad mini some years ago while developing SOAK. With every software update things gets worse on iOS. Until you have an almost unusable device after a few years later. And developers has to constantly update their apps to stay playable on the AppStore. Planned obsolescence at it's finest. It's not a system or company I like to support more than I absolutely have to.
Google (The company) /Android has their own issues. But i'll take it over iOS.

The game looks very charming. Absolutely enjoyed Little Nightmares on PC. I even got a Little Nightmares t-shirt from Tarsier on my birtday. :)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 01 Dec 2019, 20:20

More indie spotting!

Stone Story RPG

Bleak Sword

The Gardens Between

Brume

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 01 Dec 2019, 20:25

Neon Noir: Crytek's Software Ray Tracing! How Does It Work? How Well Does It Run?

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 02 Dec 2019, 09:36

Så er det nye voksenformatet af Troldspejlet landet. Troldspejlet og Co. på DR2.
Det virker da meget hyggeligt. Ikke den helt store revolution. Men en lille evolution på formatet. Indeholdende lidt overfladisk sniksnak om gamle og nyere nørde-ing. Med lidt kendis talkshow inde over. Virker fint til mainstream underholdning. Ikke noget jeg vil betegne som et must see. Men en lille ting man lige kan nappe hvis man har tid.
Da man var en lille knægt i 80'erne var Troldspejlet selvfølgelig noget helt andet. Dengang var det VIRKELIG et must see. :)
Tiden går. Og mediebilledet har ændret sig ekstremt siden da.

Troldspejlet & Co.: Star Wars, gyserspil - og Iben Hjejle
SÆSON 2019 EPISODE 1 | 29M
Har Iben Hjejle et lyssværd? Det er et af de brændende spørgsmål, hun besvarer som nørd-æres gæst hos Jakob Stegelmann i premieren på Troldspejlet & Co. Dagens program ser desuden på horror-spil, det nye spil Death Stranding og vi besøger samleren Horror-

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/troldspejlet- ... jle_152168

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 02 Dec 2019, 11:55

Youtuber 'Rimmy - Downunder Gaming' playing our game! Broken Lines
He seems to enjoy it! Always nice know! :)

Thanks to him I insta-fixed a bug where players can run inside the mesh of a windmill. :D
We should have caught that. ;)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 02 Dec 2019, 16:50

DK release - Another AR game release from ARBlox IVS.

Hole in one @JeppeKM ? ;)

Pocket Golf King: Real-Time Social Multiplayer (Early Access)

Android version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... k4r9dol7vs

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 Dec 2019, 09:50

Indie spotting

Dead Static Drive

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 Dec 2019, 09:58

Aww.. cute. Game streaming in the olden days! :)
I actually did work a bit on some of the later TV realtime 3D animation system on Hugo. I don't think it was ever aired in Denmark. Perhaps Poland and Turkey?!
It was built on the OGRE3D open source 3D engine. Still out there getting updated I think.

How we Streamed Games 30 Years Ago | Nostalgia Nerd

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 Dec 2019, 12:01

DK mobile release from @TinyCorp. Published by Mindsense Games. Some old coworkers from the NapNok days on the team! :)
Best of luck guys! Looks great! :cool:

✨Tiny Tomb is OUT NOW✨

Play our quirky roguelike dungeoncrawler about feeding a hungry monster and finding your friends 🥑

Link to iOS: https://apple.co/2Y3WesY
Link to Android: https://bit.ly/2OFPsa2

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 Dec 2019, 21:35

So Bossa Studios (Surgeon Simulator + I am bread) has this concept going on. Where they gauged 3 game prototypes in public before deciding on what game to develop first.
While also building their email list. Clever move! ;) And also installing their launcher.... :rolleyes

The first selected game should be revealed soon.

Actually our own (former) PressPlay did a similar thing some years ago. Eventually it lead to TrailMakers and the super successful Deep Rock Galactic from the studios born from the ashes.

Especially the 'I am fish' prototype looks kind of cute. I was about to give them a try but the launcher does not download properly anymore... oh well well. :rolleyes :|
Also super nice to see full 3D simulated water particles in an actual game (well still prototype). :cool:

https://www.bossapresents.com/

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 Dec 2019, 22:01

Oh and Darksider Genesis has launched!
With local and online coop! :D yay!
I'll very probably give the game a shot at some point in coop. If I can get the kiddo away from the damn hideous abomination Roblox! :blush :rolleyes !!
Atleast it's not much Fortnite anymore for him.

Video review.

Fairly early review distribution.. looks excellent! MetaScore 77. User score 8.5.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dark ... 06-10aaa1f

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 06 Dec 2019, 12:00

So with some substantial investments and a game that's doing well is seems. From university squatters to big corporate studio,
BetaDwarf is now in the game of live action comedy PR movies. And it's pretty cute! Very in-game humor reference. :)

Also the game is great at what is does! I did play it a little a while back and do prefer it above Clash Royale in the comparable F2P space.
The players on Steam is even Overwhelmingly Positive! So that's an impressive feat in itself! :)
So well done BetaDwarf! Keep on rocking guys! :cool:

(Personally I'm hoping they will eventually turn to new non-F2P projects in the future... but not having too high realistic hopes on that)
Forced was also great! Besides multiple controllers not working on PC in a coop game. :cry:

Give Minion Masters a shot if you don't have already.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 09 Dec 2019, 20:49

Pretty cool tech stuff.

Occlusion coming to ARCore

And hand tracking in now available for consumers. Devs very soon on the Oculus Quest. For more casual VR use it pretty cool!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 09 Dec 2019, 20:58

Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer.. well actually looks a pretty decent attempt for reviving one of my favorite 80s movies as a kid.

Totally skipped Ghostbusters (2016). The really poor attempts at humor in the trailer also did not help.

Also played the Ghostbusters game on the C64 back in the days. Not really a favorite but it was Ghostbusters! :cool:

:cry: Oh yeah.. a comment on Rick and Morty Season 4. Well actually it figures that the show has been taking a really poor turn.
The first episode was actually ok. But 2,3,4... nope!
I was thinking maybe there has been a huge shake up in the writing team or something?! Due to having to deliver so many new episodes. But no!
I was cruising around the web trying to figure out why season 4 has been so poor in quality. And it all leads to a writing process decision. Referenced in this interview.
https://www.inverse.com/article/47657-r ... armon-says

Dan Harmon:
Rather than trying to force a singular story premise on any given episode (which caused episodes like “Anatomy Park” and “Get Schwifty” to suffer), the writing team will instead cultivate the ideas, jokes, moments etc. that they find funny. Finagling a story and formulating cohesive episodes will, apparently, be the last step of the process. “Moments first, structure second” sounds like the new mantra.

WORST decision ever! It has nearly killed the show for me. It has become incoherent unfunny garbage. I will (maybe) endure the rest of this season. But I really hope they will go back to a 'cohesion-first' approach. It's an easy fix even!
Just do what you used to do! :)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 09 Dec 2019, 21:00

LAST YEAR: AFTERDARK (2019) Official Gameplay Trailer [HD]

Clans of Reign in the works. Looks kinda cute! :) Physics driven hack and slashy!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 09 Dec 2019, 21:41

So all the rage right now. The experimental AI game AI Dungeon 2 is currently down. As the cost of hosting the game exploded.

In the game you can take the adventure in your completely own direction. Driven in by machine learning. And in a pretty consistent and impressive manner.

One play experience here

There is a torrent available of the data. Not sure if there are web mirrors up already (maybe?). Hope it will be back up soon.
http://www.aidungeon.io/

The classic edition is available. But without the freeform player writing interaction.
http://ai-adventure.appspot.com/

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 11 Dec 2019, 00:54

[VR] Boneworks - Launch Trailer (Available Now)

Axiom Verge 2 - Reveal Trailer.
Played the first one a bit. Nice ride.

BABYLON'S FALL: State of Play TRAILER
From Platinum Games. Always a sign of high quality stuff

PS4 exclusive Dream launches 14th Febuary 2020
The bat-shit crazy game creation system!

Noclip - The History of Quake with Tim Willits

IGN awarded our basement friends Triband (What the Golf) best mobile game of the year.
https://nordic.ign.com/feature/31813/th ... obile-game

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 11 Dec 2019, 09:50

Oh finally the Xen chapter of the fan made Half-Life 2 remake. Black Mesa is now available.

I played the part up till Xen. Great stuff! Recommended!